Saturday 6 June 2020

'The Tyranny of Heav'n' Spot the deliberate mistake competition

This is a real competition, and you can win a Mars bar. Yes, it's that serious. A real Mars bar. (What did you expect? Golden elephants?) But the said sweet is there, sitting on my shelf at Hudson Towers, waiting to be given to the first person who solves the riddle. First reply by Facebook gets it.

This is all because when designing the front cover of 'The Tyranny of Heav'n' using Microsoft's Paint3D software, let's just say... I got a bit carried away.  Images can be imported, 3D items selected, assembled, rotated, brought closer and moved further away. There's a variety of paintbrushes, colours and textures at your fingertips, and tutorials explaining how to use them.

So having sketched out on paper an approximation of what I wanted for the book cover, I started playing with all the possibilities. Space. Robots. That sort of thing. The software had some ready-made examples, and sundry bits that could be assembled rather like an Airfix kit.

 Once I was happy with the 'thing', it could be rotated, tilted, painted, shadowed, then saved, ready for insertion on a background.


Ah, the background. We're looking for a landscape that could believably 'fit' for the surface of a comet, which is a giant ball of dirty ice and rock, flying through space. Then the idea came. We'd been to the Canadian Rockies a few years ago, and travelled up an ice glacier. I dug out the photos. This one seemed to fit.


Using Paint3D, I fiddled with the sky.


It still needed a bit of shadow and contrast adjustment, but we were getting there. I just needed to add the robot and give him a book. 


All well and good, it's ready to upload on the Amazon Kindle author page.


But then I spotted the mistake. No, it's not in the title. (That's John Milton's spelling from Paradise Lost', a deliberate reference because the poem is part of the story.) And it's not to do with the idea of the robot having a physical book out there on a comet, when in the story he's actually reading the thing online. (The book's a deliberate incongruity.)

Something else is wrong with this cover, and the only way you'll spot it is by reading the free sample on the Amazon kindle page.


Like I said, the first person to spot it and tell me on Facebook, gets the Mars bar. I'd love to say it was deliberate, but it wasn't. Go on, then.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Any requests of subjects for future posts? No idea too stupid for consideration. And yes, I know I am a bad writer, so don't bother saying that unless you can write something better. But maybe there's a topic buzzing around in your head that you'd like to see covered... because I've got a keyboard here, it's loaded with letters, and I ain't afraid to use it.